How It Works

If you are in an accident or collision involving a motor vehicle, whether you're in your car, on your bike, or walking around, in Oregon your PIP (personal injury protection), which is part of your car insurance plan, covers you for massage.

In order to get massage you first need to have an assessment by your primary care physician, a chiropractor, acupuncturist, or naturopath, as it is they who decide if massage is medically necessary and appropriate given your level of injury due to the collision. The sooner you do this the better off you will be, for several reasons: first, they can help you determine if you have internal or external injuries that make massage impossible for the present; second, should you not have any pain or obvious injury, they can help you determine how long/if you should wait to see if pain does arise. Many people do not feel any particular pain after an accident, for up to two or three days, and decide right away that they do not need to file a claim and do not need any bodywork. The trick here is that adrenaline and endorphins can delay the pain messages your body might be trying to send, so it is advisable to take a few days and see if any aches, pains, or headaches do arise. Finally, if you sign a release presented by the other person's insurance company too soon, and close the claim, then you have no more recourse for action should symptoms arise the next day. Getting an appointment with your physician as soon as possible is best, so that if you file a claim later you will have documentation that you sought medical treatment within a reasonable amount of time. You have up to one year after the date of your incident to get coverage for your injuries, as long as you keep your claim open. If you keep your claim open but do not see a physician until a few weeks later, the claims adjuster could argue that your injuries must not be that bad and are therefore not covered.

If your physician finds that massage is medically necessary, it can be scheduled 3-4 days after the incident. The longer you wait to get massage the more entrenched the injury could become and the longer it might take to resolve the issue. You can download the MVC Referral Form, take it to your physician to fill out, and I can use it to file paperwork with your auto insurance company. If you do not take this Referral Form with you it's okay, because if your doctor finds your are in need of massage they can write a referral for you using their own paperwork, and they and I can communicate to coordinate care for you.

An auto collision opens up a whole world of "to-do" lists, so take it one step at a time and be sure to ask questions. If you have any questions for me please do not hesitate to get in touch.



Print, fill out, and bring this form to your PCP or provider so that they can prescribe and refer you for massage if they find that it is medically necessary. Please contact me with any questions, I am happy to help.


Print, fill out and bring this form with you to your first appointment with me